tanaRi events got an inside look at the 2nd annual Varli Food Festival in Manhattan! More than 2000 people showed up to this event which was hosted by none other than Padma Lakshmi and Sanjeev Kapoor! The event showed guests that Indian food can be more than chicken tikka and rice! Many booths showed off an eclectic array of smells and spices coming from various regions in India. All the dishes were unique and colorful, with something for everyone’s taste buds!
Here are some great pics of some cake ideas!
Look at all this scrumptious food!
Here’s a snap of Vikas Khanna doing a food demo!
And our fave Sanjeev Kapoor!
Had an amazing time sampling all the delicious food and meeting Padma Laxmi, Sanjeev Kapoor, and Vikas Khanna!
St. Patrick’s Day is here! While most eateries are serving the generic green beer, you can try some unique and healthy food ideas for a St. Patrick’s Day party! Here are a few simple do-it-yourself food ideas that will make your guests green with envy that they didn’t think of it!
Fruit & Vegetable Platter
:: Colors of the rainbow in fruits (strawberries, cantaloupe, pineapples, grapes, bananas, blueberries)
:: Use Mini Marshmallows for “clouds” on one end and banananas as “gold”
:: 2 cups lime sherbet, 1 banana, 1 cup milk
:: Mix ingredients in a blender
Green Mac n’ Cheese
:: One box of macaroni
:: 8 slices of cheese singles
:: 1/3 cup of milk
:: One bag prewashed baby spinach
:: Saute spinach in oil until it reduces in size, it will turn bright green and soft
:: Add wilted spinach in food processor and puree. Add milk if you need consistency
:: Cook and drain pasta
:: Add cheese to empty hot pasta pan along with milk, stir until combined. Add spinach puree and mix.
:: Add salt and pepper to taste. Return drained pasta to pan and coat with spinach cheese mixture
(Photo Credits: Savingslifestyle.com, Mygrattitudeattitudes.com, foodwithkidappeal.com)
In honor of World Vegetarian Awareness Month, here are our top five tips for looking and feeling great for brides-to-be, the vegetarian way!
1) Keep that skin smooth and glowing with organic and vegetarian beauty products
- Bioéthique Certified Organic is one of the world’s first and only premium quality third-party certified organic lines made in Provence, France. Personal favorite is Bioéthique’s Day Cream, which is a light moisturizer with immortelle extract, rose geranium essential oil and extra virgin olive oil.
2) For inexpensive options, try these amazing homemade skin treatments for your hair & skin
- Treat your hair to an oil massage with olive oil (for dry hair) or almond oil (frizzy hair) and, if possible, leave it on overnight prior to shampooing.
- Cooling mask for the face – Combine one tbsp natural yogurt, room temperature and one tsp runny honey (add few drops of limejuice for oily skin). Apply to face and let sit for 15 minutes. Wash face with mild face cleanser.
3) Celebrate fruits & veggies this month – add more color to your diet
- Add a good blend of fruits and veggies to your diet along with a good balance of carbohydrates and protein to feel fit & healthy. Include lentils, whole grains, various beans and tofu to fill yourself up so you do not miss the carbs or the protein. Check out this article for those organic/non-organic decisions.
- Juices are an easy way to add fruits and vegetables to your diet. Many of them are packed with the benefits of vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. Just watch out for that added sugar and extra sodium.
- Water is key for great skin and health. People tend to drink less water during fall and winter because of the cooler weather, so you might have to remind yourself about it. It is important to stay hydrated for that glowing skin.
- When you shower or wash your face in the colder months, make sure to use lukewarm water such that the skin is not stripped of its natural protective oils.
5) De-stress –
- Yoga/Meditation: Yoga involves a series of both moving and stationary poses, combined with deep breathing. In addition to reducing anxiety and stress, yoga can also improve flexibility, strength, balance, and stamina. Breathing meditation for stress relief is a simple, yet powerful, relaxation technique.
Got great beauty tips that you want to share? Send them our way.